I recently installed Windows 8 on my Mac as a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. Following a few simple steps ensured a smooth installation.
First off, you will need to be running VMWare Fusion 5.0 or above. As I didn’t want to destroy my Windows 7 virtual machine, I opted to create a new Windows 8 machine. In order to do so however, I need to install a full version of Windows 8, not an upgrade. I have not yet come across a full version of Windows 8 in any stores – only upgrade versions. Luckily,Windows 8 System Builder was available on Amazon.
The first step is purchasing the full version of Windows you want to us:
You can purchase Window 8 Professional System Builder 64 bit HERE
You can purchase Window 8 Professional System Builder 32 bit HERE
You can purchase Windows 8 Standard System Builder 64 bit HERE
You can purchase Windows 8 Standard System Builder 32 bit HERE
To Install Windows 8 using VMWare Fusion 5
- Select File > New from the VMWare fusion menu.
- Click the “Install this Operating System” radio button.
- Click Continue.
- Ensure that Easy Install checkbox is checked.
- Enter in Windows product key.
- Click the drop down box and choose Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro from the list.
- Click either the More Seamless or More Isolated radio button.
- Click Continue
- If you wish to modify any of the settings such as memory, disk size, etc., click Customize Settings and make your changes.
- Click Finish.
- Type the name for your new Virtual Machine in the Save As box.
- Click Save to begin the installation.