Dropbox recently updated its iOS app with a bunch of great new features but my favorite is the ability to sign your PDF documents right from the Dropbox app – no third party PDF editors required. Additionally, you can quickly insert the current date or add any other custom text that you want. This comes in especially handy when completing fill-in PDF forms. If part of your workflow involved signing PDF files, you may find this new feature to be a real time-saver.
To Add Your Signature to a PDF File
- From the Dropbox app, tap the document you want in the left pane and then tap the preview of it in the right pane to open it.
- On the lower-left corner of the page, is a floating toolbar. The third tool from the left is the Editing tool.
When you tap it, you will be asked how you want to open the document. The options presented will vary, depending on what applications you have installed. To use the PDF signing feature, choose Add Text or Signature.
- To add a signature, click on the center icon (the icon of a pen on paper).
The first time you use the feature, a window will display, prompting you to sign your name. Sign your name on the line next to the x and click Done. The signature is now stored in the app and will be available next time you need to sign a PDF.
- To add the signature to the PDF, click the signature icon again and tap the signature that you added (note that you can also add a new signature here, if need be).
- The signature will be placed in the center of the document. Tap it and then drag to the location of the document where you want to insert it.
- To resize the signature, tap and drag on any of the blue resizing handles on the border of the signature box.
To Add the Current Date to a PDF File
- Open the PDF that you want to edit in the Dropbox app.
- Click the date icon on the floating toolbar (the third icon from the left).
- Tap it and drag it to the desired location on the document.
- Use the resizing handles to adjust the size of the date box as needed.
To Add Custom Text to a PDF File
- Open the PDF that you want to edit.
- Tap the text icon on the floating toolbar (the first icon).
- Tap the Edit icon on the toolbar that appears.
- Type in the text that you want to use.
- When finished, you can again resize it and move it to the desired location on the document.
- Turn TextEdit into a Word Processor by Inserting Tables
- Create Links to an E-mail Messages in the Notes app
- Read Web Pages Offline using Safari’s Reading List Feature
- Introducing Daily Mac Tips Courses
- Sync Google Contacts with your Mac’s Contacts application