When you close an application, all documents that you have open within the application will reopen the next time you launch the application. If you have not saved a document, you will be prompted to do so when you exit an application.
If you do not like this behavior and prefer that your applications do not restore previously opened windows, click the Close windows when quitting an application checkbox in the General pane of System Preferences.
To Close All Windows When Quitting an Application
- Click on the menu to display System Preferences.
- Click General under the Personal area.
- Click the checkbox next to Close windows when quitting an application.
- Sync Google Contacts with your Mac’s Contacts application
- Turn TextEdit into a Word Processor by Inserting Tables
- Read Web Pages Offline using Safari’s Reading List Feature
- Create Links to an E-mail Messages in the Notes app