The process for sorting the contents of a folder is dependent on the View (Icon View, List View, Column View or Cover Flow View) that you are using.
In Icon View, you generally drag the icons anywhere you want within a window. A quicker way to sort your icons is to choose View from the Finder menu, hold down the Option or Alt key on your keyboard, point to Sort By from the menu and then choose from the following sort arrangement:
- Date Last Opened
- Date Added
- Date Modified
- Date Created
- Size Label
If you are in List View or Cover Flow View, you can control the sort order by clicking on the column heading by which you wish to sort. Click the column heading again to reverse the sort order. The tiny triangle on the right side of the column heading lets you know how the column is sorted – if it is pointed downward, the column is sorted in descending order (Z-A). If the triangle is pointed upward, the column is sorted in ascending order (A-Z).
When in Column View, you can sort the same way as in Icon View: choose View from the Finder menu, hold down the Option or Alt key on your keyboard, point to Sort By from the menu and then choose the desired sort category.
To Sort the Contents of a Folder
- In Icon View, drag the icons in the desired order
In Icon or Column View, select View from the Finder menu, hold down the Option or Alt key on your keyboard, point to Sort By and then click on the desired sort arrangement.
- In List View or Cover Flow View, click on the column heading to sort by the column contents, such as file name, date created, etc. Click the column heading again to reverse the sort order.
Tip: In order to apply a sort to a folder, you will first need to remove any arrangements that have been applied to the folder (View > Arrange By > None).
- Read Web Pages Offline using Safari’s Reading List Feature
- Logitech Accessories on Sale Today for Amazon’s Deal of the Day
- Turn TextEdit into a Word Processor by Inserting Tables
- Introducing Daily Mac Tips Courses
- Create Links to an E-mail Messages in the Notes app